Date:      Sun, 24 Nov 2002 17:06:05 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Chad David <davidc@issci.ca>
Cc:        David O'Brien <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Objective-C threads

Chad David wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 02:19:43AM -0800, David O'Brien wrote:
> > Perhaps because maintaining them in the FreeBSD repo might be the wrong
> > place.  To answer your other questiion -- because a change to fix one
> > thing for one person might break things for 10 others.
>
> Which brings us back to my original question... why are ObjC threads
> disabled?  I don't much care about my other patches, I just want
> to know who the 10 others are who will break if we enable threads,
> and how to fix that breakage.  My minor patches were only posted because
> you asked :).
>
> I do have other patches for thr-posix, but I agree that it would be
> better if they went to gcc, and didn't get stacked locally.

The answer is that your other patches have not been committed
to gcc, so any changes to gcc, other than configuration, would
have to be maintained in the FreeBSD repository.

I personally have no problem with this, if it makes Objective C
work where it didn't before, and doesn't impact and other code,
or non-Objective C compilations.  But I am not the maintainer,
and David O'Brien is, so it is him you have to convince, since
it is for him you are making extra work.

It may seem the slow way around, but you should submit your
patches to the gcc folks first, and wait for them to be included,
such that FreeBSD will need only configuration changes.

I have gotten literally hundreds of patches into FreeBSD by
ignoring the FreeBSD process, and submitting the patches back
to the vendor from which FreeBSD obtains the code, so this is
a success strategy.

-- Terry