From:      Walter Hafner <hafner@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        osiris2002@yahoo.com
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and Patient Monitoring !!

osiris2002@yahoo.com (Joss Roots) writes:

> Any example of how to do that.
> any pointer to URL is highly appreciated.
> I am ready to put some muscle, and possibly
> sweat :-), in this type of programming.
>
> any programs out there for interpreting such
> ASCII commands.
> any programs how to open serial port.
> I mean assuming that I wont need to write
> a driver, since most probably the data is coming
> raw, and very basic out of these serial ports,
> so how would I capture this.
> Any program headers for setting up the serial
> data communication is appreciated.
> thanks alot.

Hmm ... A colleague and I once re-engineered a protocol. It was even a
binary protocol. It was the communication between a surveillance camera
and the control panel.

We succeeded and as a result, a FreeBSD computer controlled the webcam
of Expo2000 for about 2 years. Last month, the cameras were dismantled.

:-)

What we did:

- put a FreeBSD computer between the camera and the panel (serial Lines;
  ttyd0 and d1)

- wrote a simple program, that forwarded all traffic from one line to
  the other, bidirectoinally. That program also wrote an extensive
  logfile.

  To write such a beast, have a look at the termios manpages
  and read this page:
  http://www.stokely.com/unix.serial.port.resources/
  carefully

- then we played with the camera (left, right, zoom, etc.) and analyzed
  the logfile.

- When we thought, we got tha hang of it, we wrote a "panel
  emulator". This emulator actually worked after only a few redesigns.

No voodoo at all. The whole process lasted about 2 weeks, if I remember
correctly.

Bevore you ask: No, I don't have any code for you. I left that job long
ago. Sorry.

-Walter

--
Dr. Walter Hafner                         Tel: 089/289-28187
WWW-Beauftragter, TU Muenchen           Email: hafner@in.tum.de