Date:      Thu, 13 Feb 2003 14:37:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      Shannon -jj Behrens <jj@nttmcl.com>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Cc:        Gene Kim <gene@nttmcl.com>
Subject:   gnome: chmod 644 /usr/X11R6/share/gnome/nautilus/*.desktop

>Submitter-Id:	current-users
>Originator:	Shannon -jj Behrens
>Organization:	NTT MCL, INC.
>Confidential:	no
>Synopsis:	gnome: chmod 644 /usr/X11R6/share/gnome/nautilus/*.desktop
>Severity:	non-critical
>Priority:	low
>Category:	ports
>Class:		change-request
>Release:	FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE-p2 i386
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD udp.nttmcl.com 4.7-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE-p2 #1: Thu Jan 23 15:26:13 PST 2003 root@:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386

In Gnome2, the /usr/X11R6/share/gnome/nautilus/starthere.desktop file is
created with permission 444, which matches all the other desktop files (e.g. in
the menus).  However, this file is copied by Nautilus to ~/.gnome-desktop.
When copied, it will eventually show up on your desktop with the "read-only"
emblem.  I find this to be rather annoying and ugly. :-/

>How-To-Repeat:
Just check out your Gnome 2 desktop.

>Fix:
My quick fix is to simply chmod 644 /usr/X11R6/share/gnome/nautilus/*.desktop
from within the port.

Thanks for all your hard work!