Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 1999 14:27:49 -0800
From:      Codeguy <codeguy@wolf.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Beginner questions re. vinum

I'm setting up a new FreeBSD system (3.1) on
a Pentium box with two Quantum Ultra-SCSI drives
(4.5 GB each).  This box will be used to log data
from two important experiments.  Since the data is kind
of important, the powers that be want to have the data mirrored
across the two drives.

I've currently got 1.2 GB of each drive allocated;
swap apace and root FS on da0, and /work on da1.
I'd like to use the remaining 3.3 GB of each drive
for vinum volumes.  Any reasons why I shouldn't be
able to do so?

I *have* read through the man pages (I've got hard copy
here in front of me), and think I have an idea of how to
proceed.  I've created a file named /etc/vinum.rc, containing:

drive drive0 device /dev/da0
drive drive1 device /dev/da1
volume www
  plex org striped 256k
      sd length 1600m drive drive0
      sd length 1600m drive drive1
volume logs
   plex org striped 256k
      sd length 1600m drive drive0
      sd length 1600m drive drive1

As I understand what I've read, this should identify both
hard drives as eligible for vinum control, identify volumes named
"www" and "logs", each of which is built out of 256 kbyte stripes
across both drives, for a total size of 1600 megs each volume.
Is this more or less correct?

My next step was:
  vinum create /etc/vinum.rc
which seemd to complete normally.  This was followed by
   vinum init www
   vinum init logs
which also seemed to complete normally (and very quickly as
well - just a few seconds).  I then tried
   vinum start www
   vinum start logs
which produced after just a few seconds:
   vinum: Can't write config top /dev/da0, error 19
   vinum: drive0 is down
   vinum: www.p0.s0 is crashed
   vinum: www.p0 is corrupt
   vinum: logs.p0.s0 is crashed
   vinum: logs.p0 is corrupt
   vinum: drive1 is down
   vinum: www.p0.s1 is crashed
   vinum: www.p0 is faulty
   vinum: www is down
   vinum: logs.p0.s1 is crashed
   vinum: logs.p0 is faulty
   vinum: logs is down

I assume this indicates that I did something majorly dumb.
Could some kind soul please point out the error of my ways?

And finally, once I have managed to complete the proper steps
to actually have a working vinum config, what do I need to do
to newfs my vinum volumes?