Date:      Sat, 21 Jul 2001 08:38:05 +0200
From:      Thierry Herbelot <thierry@herbelot.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
Subject:   Re: dual booting -stable & -current

David O'Brien wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 06:32:29PM +0200, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> > I'm probably completely dim today so please bear with me :/
> > Thing is I want to setup a dual-boot box, running -stable & -current.
> > This box, a P2/266 has a 30G IDE disk.
> >
> > What I did is create
> >       ad0s1 -> 256MB -> holds root for -stable
> >       ad0s2 -> 256MB -> was supposed to hold root for -current
> >       ad0s3 -> roughly 14G holds tmp,var,usr,usr/obj for -stable
> >       ad0s4 -> ditto for -current
>
> You are getting bit by the "root" aliasing code (IIRC this is the right
> way to describe the problem).  This makes it impossible to install
> multiple copies of FreeBSD on a single disk w/o hacking around the
> system. :-(

I do not understand what this problem is :
- I've got one system with two bootable FreeBSD "BIOS" partitions (the
one I already sent info about (these are two -Stable versions) and both
versions have been installed via /stand/sysinstall
- Another system runs with two FreeBSD "BIOS" partitions (used to switch
between 3-Stable and 4-Stable) the boot0 boot selector is used to switch
between releases
- a third (a notebook) has one FreeBSD "BIOS" partition and used to be
shared between 4-Stable and -Current (using all 8 FreeBSD partitions in
the slice and using the loader to select ad0s4a or ad0s4e for root
partition) - In this case, /stand/sysinstall was unable to create all 8
FreeBSD partitions : I had to first install FreeBSD on ad0s3, cut 8
partitions in ad0s4, then reinstall in ad0s4.

[SNIP]
--
Thierry Herbelot