Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2001 13:54:11 +0100 (CET)
From:      Blaz Zupan <blaz@si.FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: IPC TopNote G serial ports not working

> > sio0: configured irq 4 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
> Note that this means that interrupts are not working for this port.

Exactly, because it's probably not even activated.

> Make sure you haven't disabled the serial port in the BIOS, or configured
> it for IR or something.  The most "correct" setting would be Win2000, but
> as you've noticed, our PCI support doesn't handle this yet. 8(

There are three settings for the serial ports: disabled, enabled and auto.
"disabled" is obvious, "enabled" allows me to set the I/O address and IRQ,
which are set correctly, auto probably does that automatically. None of the
settings make the ports work.

> > Checking for Plug-n-Play devices...
> > No Plug-n-Play devices were found
>
> pnpinfo is only relevant for ISA PnP devices; basically just old sound
> cards, and not at all useful here.

Aren't some serial ports configured as ISA PnP devices? Yeah, probably not in
newer machines (especially those supporting ACPI).

> > acpidump: DSDT is corrupt
>
> You might try to get an ACPI dump via other means, but it looks like this
> may be part of the problem. 8(

I feared that. What are the "other means" to get an ACPI dump? I believe there
is also a FreeBSD ACPI mailing list somewhere.