Date:      Sat, 17 Nov 2001 12:02:59 +1100
From:      "Chris Knight" <chris@aims.com.au>
To:        <cjclark@alum.mit.edu>, "'Konstantin'" <skif_dk@mail.ru>
Cc:        <freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Stateful Rules and FTP

Howdy,

This is essentially what I did, but ensuring that the inbound ftp control
connection came in over the DMZ i/f and out the internal i/f. The ftp data
connection was checked coming in from the internal i/f and out the DMZ i/f.
ie:

  add pass tcp from <dmz subnet> to <internal ip> 21 keep-state out recv ed1
xmit ed2 setup
  add pass tcp from <internal ip> 20 to <dmz subnet> keep-state out recv ed2
xmit ed1 setup

> I think you forgot to add that you need to switch to "active" FTP for
> these rules to work. But realize these rules open you up to other
> security issues. An FTP proxy would really be the way to go.

I realised that it was active FTP. I can see with the above rules that a
bounce attack could occur against any of the DMZ machines, but I can't think
of other security issues, unless I stuff up the config of the internal FTP
server.
I'll look at the FTP install via HTTP proxy method; this should tidy things
up a bit.
Thanks for everyone's help.

> --
> [snip]

Regards,
Chris Knight
Systems Administrator
AIMS Independent Computer Professionals
Tel: +61 3 6334 6664  Fax: +61 3 6331 7032  Mob: +61 419 528 795
Web: http://www.aims.com.au