Date:      Sun, 4 Aug 1996 20:39:55 +0000 ()
From:      James Raynard <fdocs@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        johnr@computer.net
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installation

> Suggest you put on your web site or ftp site an explicit description
> of which sub-directories and files are needed for installation.

I was thinking about putting this in the FAQ, but (IMHO) it really
belongs in the installation instructions.  Comments, anyone?

> I am installing the contents of freeBSD/bin and freeBSD/floppies,
> but have no idea of what types of capabilities I might be missing or
> whether I will have to re-do the whole thing later to make up
> for missing files.

By either luck or good judgement, you have chosen the minimal distributions
required to get FreeBSD up and running.  You'll probably be surprised at
how much you'll be able to do with these, (as long as it's in text mode -
you'll need the X distribution to get a GUI).

I'd recommend getting the 'info' and 'manpages' distributions as well -
they don't take up a lot of space and will provide a lot of useful
online documentation.  Anyway, it's quite straightforward to add extra
distributions later, so you haven't restricted your options in any way.