Date:      Mon, 04 Mar 1996 09:38:53 +0100
From:      Peter Olsson <pol@leissner.se>
To:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 8bit clean vi?

>>how do I manage to get the iso8859-1 characters displayed while working
>>with vi. All I get is the hex-representation of the characters which
>>looks not that nice....
>
>Use locale.
>
>$ env LANG=de_DE.ISO_8859-1 vi
>
>or
>
>$ LANG=de_DE.ISO_8859-1; export LANG; vi
>

>Gru Wolfram

I tried this (with sv_SE.ISO_8859-1 and keymaps swedish.iso or swedish.cp850)
and it doesn't work. The best results are (of course) when using LANG together
with swedish.iso. Then our national characters are at least the same in vi as
on the commandline and no hexcodes. But they are Greek alphabet instead of
Swedish. Rather useless.

Therefore my little vi-hack. But if there is a better way, like this, that
works, I'd be very happy to hear about it.

Peter Olsson    pol@leissner.se