Date:      Thu, 25 Apr 1996 16:26:25 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@blueberry.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pppd dieing on close of line

> In the past hour or so I've succesfully got kernel mode PPP working as
> a server on my FreeBSD box. Several of the Mac clients can now dial into
> my machine and access IP services (telnet, www etc), both within the local
> network and out via our router to the wider internet. This is on a box
> running 2.1-stable.

Good so far.

> However, every time one of the clients shuts down their PPP connection,
> my pppd dies as well. This is obviously rather bad, as it means that no
> one else can connect.

Umm, how are they starting ppp?  This is normal behavior.

> >From my reading of the pppd man page, and the section relating to server
> mode ppp in the handbook, this seems to be the opposite of what should
> happen. As far as I can tell, the daemon is supposed to stay up until it
> is explicitly killed.

Which is normal when a logout occurs.

> Off the top of my head, I can think of two possible solutions. One would
> be to list pppd in /etc/ttys, and leave init responsible for restarting
> pppd. A quick trial of this leads to a slew of
>
>     getty repeating too quickly on port %s, sleeping
>
> The other solution would be to run getty on the modem port, and have logins
> from a particular user run pppd as their shell. Experimenting with that
> I see a wad of
>
>     pppd[1535]: ioctl(TIOCSCTTY): Operation not permitted
>
> messages from syslog, which suggests to me I may be barking up the wrong
> tree.

This means that getty and pppd aren't agreeing with how the line should
be setup.

- Make sure /etc/rc.serial sets the line speed and everything else
  correctly on bootup.
- Make sure /etc/ttys is using the correct speed for the getty (the same
  as used in /etc/rc.serial)
- Make sure the modem is hard-coded to the correct getty speed.
- Make sure 'normal' logins work fine (ie; w/out starting up ppp)
- Have the login shell for the PPP users be a shell script that starts
  up PPP.

Here's my passwd line, and the script that follows it.

Ptrout:*:812:800:PPP Login for trout:/etc/ppp:/etc/ppp/Login-trout

/etc/ppp/Login-trout
--------------------
#!/bin/sh
#
# Specific login file for machines who want their stuff hard-coded
#

PATH=:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin
export PATH

mesg n
stty -tostop
exec pppd `hostname`:trout debug

> Any suggestions from the folks in the know? If I get this working then I'll
> write it up for the handbook (as the entry in there seems to hark back
> to the days of 2.0).

I re-worked some of it, but none of the reviewers ever got back with me
on it, and I lost interest in it.

Hope this helps,

Nate