Date:      Fri, 18 Nov 2005 00:23:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rob <spamrefuse@yahoo.com>
To:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Why device sk (PCI Gigabit Ethernet) cannot use polling?

Xin LI wrote:
> On 11/18/05, Rob <spamrefuse@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>The sk device has no polling support,
>>neither in 5 nor in 6.
>>Is there a particular reason (maybe
>>because it's a Gigabit device) ?
>>
>>Or is polling not supported because it
>>simply has not yet been coded? If so, would
>>it be straightforward to add the code?
>

> That would not be very hard if you own some
hardware,
> so if you have the hardware, give it a try! :-)

I do have the hardware: an sk integrated on the
motherboard, but this is on a production server.

Also, I don't know anything about coding the
polling stuff; I use it on other PCs (rl, xl)
and was wondering why not with sk.

If I have a piece of code that is 99.9 % sure
to work, then in that case I could try it out on
the production server in a test over the weekend.

> BTW.  Since glebius@ has some recent work on
> polling(4), you may want to ask him for some
> in-depth advises.

Who is glebius?

Rob.

http://mail.yahoo.com