Date:      Tue, 16 Feb 1999 19:35:18 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Kam Kwan <kkwan00@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, kam@sourcee.com
Subject:   Re: HP DeskJet 880C Printer.

On Mon, 15 Feb 1999, Kam Kwan wrote:

> Hi there,
>
>     Before I purchase the HP DeskJet 880C color printer, I would like
> to know if FreeBSD 3.0-Stable would support it or not.  If not, is
> there any other way I can possibly get those two things to work
> together or should I forget about getting that printer and if so,
> would you have any recommendation as to what other color inkjet
> printer I can get that would work with FreeBSD 3.0-Stable?

FreeBSD itself doesn't particularly care what kind of printer you
have.  The best printers to use with just about any system are ones
that understand Postscript, but those generally don't come cheap.  If
your printer does not understand Postscript (which the HP 800 series
do not.. I have an 870Cse here... works great), you can install a
utility such as GhostScript (in the FreeBSD ports/packages) which
handles Postscript rendering for many different types of
non-postscript printers.

By the way, where are you getting an 880?  All I can find are 890's
for around $400.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
/* FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and compatibles (SPARC and Alpha under development)
   ( http://www.freebsd.org )                                       */