Date:      Thu, 3 Oct 2002 05:20:08 +0200
From:      marius@alchemy.franken.de
To:        "Long, Scott" <Scott_Long@adaptec.com>
Cc:        "'attila!'" <attila@hun.org>, FreeBSD-CURRENT <current@FreeBSD.ORG>, Eric Hodel <drbrain@segment7.net>, "Justin T.Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
Subject:   Re: aic7890/91 controller

On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 07:53:27PM -0700, Long, Scott wrote:

> >     The aic 7890/91 is a dual 160 MB controller.
>
> No, the 7890/91 is 80MB/s max.

The Tyan S2462UNG has an aic-7899w.

> >     Adaptec's
> >     documentation expliciely states that the bus speed is the
> >     rate of the _slowest_ device on the channel.
>
> No it does not.

Well, the whole bus will switch to SE-speed if a SE-device is connected,
guess that's what he meant.

> >     Did you try
> >     placing the cd on the B channel or vice-versa?  Tyan, in
> >     their 2642 SMP manual, recommends that the faster (and
> >     boot) drives be placed on the B bus.
>
> I can't imagine why it would say this.  Can you provide a
> reference?

Me neither but my 2642 additionally only boots from channel B.
The manual is available at:
ftp://ftp.tyan.com/manuals/thunder/m_s2462_100.pdf
He was refering to:
"You can connect Ultra160 and Ultra2 SCSI devices to the 68-pin Low
 Voltage Differential/Single-Ended (LVD/SE) connectors on both SCSI
 channels. Or you can operate the newer Ultra160 and Ultra2 devices
 at their maximum speed on Channel B while at the same time using
 legacy SCSI devices on Channel A." (page 47)