Date:      Tue, 09 Mar 1999 20:47:25 +0100
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@eboa.com>
To:        junkmale@xtra.co.nz
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVSup: a newbie's tale.

Dan Langille wrote:

> As far as I can tell, the symbolic links are there so you can put the
> actual files anywhere you want.  In the above case, under /usr/share.  It
> means that the software has a predefined link but allows you the
> flexibility of putting the actualy files somewhere else.

Yes, I know. I put them there.

> > Also, you did not change the base directory, you filled it with
> > symbolic links.
>
> I didn't fill it with symbolic links.  The installation program did that.

Hm. Not so in my case. The examples got installed but, if I remember
correctly, I had to create, let alone fill, the /usr/local/etc/cvsup
dir myself. As per instructions in the manual, b.t.w.. Here's the quote:

". Where should cvsup maintain its status files?

The cvsup client maintains certain status files in what is called the "base"
directory. These files help CVSup to work more efficiently, by keeping track
of which updates you have already received. We will use the standard base
directory, "/usr/local/etc/cvsup":

  *default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup

This setting is used by default if it is not specified in the supfile, so we
actually do not need the above line.

If your base directory does not already exist, now would be a good time to
create it. The cvsup client will refuse to run if the base directory does not
exist."

> Ummm, it's not *you* doing the maintaining.  It is cvsup.  I think the
> cvsup client keeps track of what files it has and compares that to what
> files the cvsup server has.  It is those "status files" which are
> "maintained" in the "base directory".  These terms, I believe, are cvsup
> terms, not something I made up.

So it says. Since I used vi with no backup generated I can't check if
it really maintained something. Well, actually, it did do something.
It changed all my (* default) host back to CHANGE-THIS :). Ah well, I
guess it'll have had a good reason.

> But there is a cvup.conf file in that directory.  See config.sh which
> defines the server you will get the files from.  It also contains the sup
> files for crypto and non-crypto.

What config.sh? Here's

roelof:/usr/share/examples/cvsup$ ls
README                  ports-supfile           secure-supfile
cvs-supfile             secure-cvs-supfile      stable-supfile
gnats-supfile           secure-stable-supfile   standard-supfile
roelof:/usr/share/examples/cvsup$

as you can see, no script. Since I had to create the etc directory
myself, that was empty too.

This is 3.1-RELEASE. I needed CVSup 'cause some ports had been
upgraded. I went the STABLE way. Hm. For kicks just tried to build
VNC, but no dice: xmkmf not found. Guess I haven't seen the last
of CVSup :).

Maybe the disparaty is due to different releases?

Roelof

--
Home is where the (@) http://eboa.com/ is.