Date:      Sat, 09 Dec 1995 14:04:51 -0500
From:      Dan Cross <cross@math.psu.edu>
To:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
Cc:        cross@math.psu.edu (Dan Cross), p.richards@elsevier.co.uk, jkh@time.cdrom.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A call for DNS secondaries to server for <dom>.freebsd.org

> Forget about it in France.  A new domain  after the first  one that you get
> with your provider  will cost you between   $200/y and $600/y  depending on
> whether he (the  provider)  has paid  the $6000  fee  to be  in  the FR-NIC
> council or not.

Yikes!

> In other words, forget about freebsd.org.fr.  I don't even think they would
> accept it as  they ask the name  to be a registered trade  mark in order to
> reduce name space pollution in .fr.

Hmm..  forget it, then...

Another point that I hadn't thought of that Dave Barr pointed out to me was
that a lot of counties don't use the standard convention for domain naming,
that is, in England that use *.co.uk instead of *.com.uk.  Thus, it would turn
into a big mess with the country level authorities.  Another thing that Dave
pointed out to me was that DNS traffic isn't really all that taxing, so the
benefits would be minimal.  :-)

Given that, I think that Jordan's original idea of splitting things up into
*.<country>.freebsd.org is preferable....  It would be nice to reduce
traffic overall (hey, every little bit helps) but it's just too complicated,
not to mention expensive.  :-(

	- Dan C.