Date:      Fri, 5 Jan 96 08:50 PST
From:      pete@puffin.pelican.com (Pete Carah)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: System hangs with S3-Trio64 and networking.

In article <199601040354.OAA09930@genesis.atrad.adelaide.edu.au> msmith writes:
>Sergey S. Kosyakov stands accused of saying:

>> I have Pentium-120 with 32 MB RAM and Diamond Stealth-64 2 MB DRAM (S3-Trio64)
>> PCI card. When I start ping from xterm %25 or more pings loss. When I start
>> some network applications under X (like ftp or netscape) system hangs.
>> I tried "de" (Digital 21041 PCI Ethernet card) and "ed" (SMC8216) - the
>> situation is the same.

>> Can somebody help me to fix this problem ?

>Had any progress here yet?  I'm sure you have a hardware problem; you should
>try resetting your BIOS configurations back to their default values.
>Also check your ethernet cable.

Well, I've now seen this on two systems; one a P100/ASUS P55TP4XE with
PB cache and either a Diamond Stealth PCI 64 (the Dram version),
or a ISA Fahrenheit 1280+. Originally I suspected the PB cache and have
bought 256k of static (but not gotten around to testing it yet).
The hang happens on either card in the same circumstances so the mmap
of the PCI card probably isn't an issue.

The other is a 486 VLB using a VLB Fahrenheit card.  The P100 reliably
locks up totally (red-button time) after one or two pixmap loads (I
think; whatever X mode xli uses).  Netscape usually displays pictures
very slowly and often gets further, but usually will lock the system
too.  I can run line-draw stuff (e.g. ico) all day without hangs.
The 486 belongs to a friend and has locked up twice, both during X
operations of some kind.  I haven't gotten a good handle on the
exact circumstances of his lockup.  Mine often puts random garbage
on the screen during the hang process, at least on the PCI card, so
it appears to be spraying memory somehow.

Both of these two run XF86 3.1.2 ftp'd from cdrom.com under the 2.1.0-RELEASE
directory.

I've not seen this at home on a 486 running -stable and X 3.1.1 so
there may be something amiss in the 3.1.2 driver; was it maybe compiled
with -O2 and not the strength-reduce defeat?

One other possibly significant difference, though, is that my home system
has 32mb ram (but runs innd) and the other two have only 16mb so may
be swapping some.

In the past I've never had the disk space to recompile the server but
I have it now so may try various options there...

-- Pete