Date:      Fri, 7 Feb 1997 09:21:27 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mac Open Transport (Netscape) dns problems

Hi all,
	I've got a strange one with a customer (a High School).

	They have a number of Mac of various incarnations. Three of
which are PowerMacs running 7.5.5 and Open Transport 1.1.2.

	The DNS server of the ISP is a FreeBSD machine
running 2.1.5 (or 6), with stock bind code.

	The Netscape will work for a while but then dns cannot be resolved.
A Mac guy told me that Netscape isn't complient with Open Transport, but
continues to use some MacTCP hidden file for resolution. The Mac guy also
had a Mac dnslookup (freeware) utility, that is Open Transport complient,
it never fails when Netscape doesn't.

	Oh, my workaround was to set up a Sun Netra (with stock bind, I
believe that's Bind 4.8.3 derived) as a secondary to the FreeBSD box
and have them connect to that (it's doing address translation for the
Macs, and is a couple of hops closer, so is actually probably a better
place for resolution anyway).

	So the questions are:

1) What version of BIND is FreeBSD 2.1.5 (2.1.6) running. It seems to
   be 4.9 of some sort, but is there a sub of that, like 4.9.3.

2) Can I compile/install Bind 4.9.4 on FreeBSD 2.1.x or 2.2? The ISP's
   box isn't mine, but I can proof of concept on my box and influence
   them.

3) Is this a known problem? I know it's really a Netscape or Apple problem
   but, I need to understand it better. The Mac support company was going
   to try to get someone at Apple to Talk to me.

I just got the 2nd edition fo DNS and BIND. Is there help in there? Should
I talk to Cricket? (I do know him).

Thanks,
Paul
--
He played the king as if afraid someone else would play the ace.
                -- John Mason Brown, drama critic