Date:      Tue, 3 Jul 2001 00:18:00 -0500
From:      Peeter Pirn <peeter@pirns.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   lpc start failure

For the record: `man lpd' conflicts with reality on my
3.2-RELEASE machine.

`man lpd' says:

     The daemon begins processing files after it has successfully set the lock
     for exclusive access (described a bit later), and scans the spool direc-
     tory for files beginning with cf.
     .
     .
     .
      Lpd uses flock(2) to provide exclusive access to the lock file and to
     prevent multiple daemons from becoming active simultaneously.  If the
     daemon should be killed or die unexpectedly, the lock file need not be
     removed.

On my machine, the lock file needs to be removed even after running
`lpc stop', like a good boy:

# lpc stop lp2
lp:
        printing disabled
# lpc status lp2
lp:
        queuing is enabled
        printing is disabled
        no entries in spool area
        printer idle
# lpc start lp2
lp:
        printing enabled
        daemon started
# lpc status lp2
lp:
        queuing is enabled
        printing is disabled
        no entries in spool area
        printer idle
# echo "Now delete the lock file and try again."
Now delete the lock file and try again.
# rm  /var/spool/lpd/djet500-letter-auto-mono/lock
# lpc start lp2
lp:
        daemon started
# lpc status lp2