Date:      Sat, 29 Aug 1998 21:29:05 -0500
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <support@westbend.net>
To:        "FreeBSD-Ports" <FreeBSD-Ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Sendmail 8.9.x Port

Is anybody working on a port for Sendmail 8.9.x?  Even though 3.0-Current
has sendmail 8.9.1 installed by default.

Currently, I have the most of the frame work for the port ready (includes
the patch for the "MIME Buffer Overflows" problem for mail clients(MS,
Netscape)), and compiles upto the build stage.  (Also need conditional
dependency for TCP Wrappers). Now I need to know what we need to install,
and where.

/usr/bin/newaliases -> ${DESTDIR}/usr/sbin/sendmail
/usr/bin/mailq -> ${DESTDIR}/usr/sbin/sendmail
/usr/bin/hoststat -> ${DESTDIR}/usr/sbin/sendmail
/usr/bin/purgestat -> ${DESTDIR}/usr/sbin/sendmail
${DESTDIR}/usr/bin/rmail
${DESTDIR}/usr/sbin/sendmail
${DESTDIR}/usr/sbin/mailstats
${DESTDIR}/usr/sbin/makemap
${DESTDIR}/usr/sbin/praliases
${DESTDIR}/usr/libexec/smrsh
${DESTDIR}/usr/libexec/mail.local    <- do we need mail.local?

I guess it should go into ${PREFIX}, but what is to prevent the system from
using the old version and how to tell the start up scripts to use the
alternate sendmail.

If the port is made to replace the current version, what will stop a make
world from overwriting the new sendmail.  Unless a check for NO_SENDMAIL is
added to the 2.2.7-STABLE makefiles, and can be set in the make.conf file
(like it is in 3.0-Current).

Also where should the M4 files needed to create the sendmail.cf be stored
 ../etc/sendmail/cf possibly)?

Also, is there anything special that needs to be done to allow sendmail to
build with either BIND 4 or BIND 8?

Scot