Date:      Tue, 01 Aug 2000 16:50:52 -0600
From:      Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
To:        Mark Lapointe <mark@corebay.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp and nat

On Fri, 21 Jul 2000 22:11:13 -0400 (EDT)  Mark Lapointe wrote:
 +------------------
 | Right now I am using FreeBSD 4.0 as a gateway, and I need to get ident
 | requests to be answered by the boxen behind the gateway.
 |
 | And I don't want to redirect the port to one specific box (like I saw in
 | some of the other email msgs)
 |
 | later,
 +------------------

Hum...  Ident requests coming from the outside will arrive with the
destination address of the natbox.   If I remember right there is
nothing in the protocol that allows the request to be mapped to a
host inside the nat.  That means that some special footwork would
have to be done to allow the identd process to probe the natd lookup
table and map the port in the ident request to an inside port and
address.  Then forward the request, maybe with a spoofed source
address.  Seems like a tall order for something with so marginal
a use.

chris

--
    Chris Fedde