Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 2006 15:30:44 -0700
From:      David King <dking@ketralnis.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fsck

>> And now for something completely different.... If I can't get the /
>> usr
>> partition to work is there any way to recreate the user
>> directories from
>> the password file? The contents will be lost but nobody uses their
>> folder
>> anyway, I just need all the /usr/home folders created... I could
>> write a
>> script, but I thought I'd check first to see if something already
>> exists.......
> That's trivial.  In /bin/sh syntax:
> # cd /home
> # awk -F: '$3>999{print $1}' /etc/passwd | xargs mkdir
> # for i in *; do chown $i:$i $i; done

It might help to copy the stuff out of /usr/share/skel, too, like
this (untested):

cd /home
for user in `awk -F: '$3>999{print $1}' /etc/passwd`; do
	cp -r /usr/share/skel ./$user

	for dotfile in $user/dot.*; do
		mv $dotfile `echo $dotfile | sed 's#/dot\.#.#'`
	done

	chown -R $user:$user $user
done

Take a look at /usr/sbin/adduser to see how it does it