Date:      Mon, 4 Mar 2002 15:52:54 -0500
From:      "Deepak Jain" <deepak@ai.net>
To:        "Larry Cronin" <lccronin@hotmail.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Freebsd ipf firewall and slow web access

Make sure you have enough MBUFs [NMBCLUSTERS] in your kernel.

When the speed gets poor, log into the firewall box [pref at the console]
and do a "netstat -m" to make sure you are not running into memory
denied/delayed errors.

1.5Mb/s may be enough bandwidth to hurt the default MBUF settings with a low
number of maxusers configured.

If that fails, check your interrupt load with a systat :vmstat, you may be
hurting the box, but I doubt it. I remember 133mhz i486-type PCs could crush
T-1s with web access.

Regards,

Deepak Jain
AiNET