Date:      Fri, 11 Apr 2008 09:15:26 -0500
From:      Nathan Whitehorn <nathanw@uchicago.edu>
To:        "Richard J. Valenta" <rjv@weblinkmo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X?

Richard J. Valenta wrote:
> Hello all, I have a machine that I keep in my basement, an old alpha
> DEC20 which I had 5.3 on and just used as a shell... I decided to get
> some ports for it, and of course nothing was on the ftp servers so I got
> 6.3 and put it on - - - but it seems that the X-windows system seems to
> be missing.  I also seem to be unable to find it via ftp... am I missing
> something?

You need to build everything from ports on alpha, since there aren't any
binary packages -- though it might be nice if someone would build them
for 6.3, as a last hurrah for FreeBSD/alpha.

You also will need to fix up xorg-server to remove the "doesn't build on
alpha" line in the Makefile, and then make it link against libio in the
appropriate place. Once you've done that, it should work fine, and is
just a matter of waiting a long time for everything to finish building.
-Nathan