Date:      Fri, 09 Aug 2002 00:04:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      srp@symonds.net
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   BTX Halted on compaq EVO single processor m/c

Hi,
   I got 'BTX HALTED' on a Compaq EVO on which i tried to boot FreeBSD
4.5-RELEASE for the first time. After google'ing around I found out
that this is because the BIOS tries to go into protected mode on it's
own. The solution is that we unset 'BIOS DMA' in the bios.

My problem is .. this machine is a company machine i have hijacked and
because of the current company policy the bios is locked and I don't
know the passwd.

Since I don't enough about the booting details, i am asking the
following..
  * is there another way i can get boot2 to work ?
  * is there any custom 'boot2' out there that i can use ?

'lilo' is able to boot the stock linux 2.x kernels on this machine -
so i beleive that there must surely be some freebsd boot2 variants out
there that can
help me

regards
srp

ps : please mail me back directly as i am not on the list