Date:      Tue, 10 Aug 1999 11:16:53 -0700
From:      Roy Bettle <rbettle@criterion-group.com>
To:        Johnny Trivedi <trivedi@corecomm.net>
Cc:        "Questions List FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Will FreeBSD run on my PC

--------------F76E2C55AE053ACEEECABF83

In my - admittedly - limited experience, you really want at least 32MB of
RAM or else your swap file is going to get hit pretty hard.  If you would
like, we have a *ton* of parts from old 486s (30-pin SIMM memory modules,
<504MB hard drives, etc.).  We've been doing Y2K upgrades for companies here
in SoCal and so we have *lots* or spare parts we'd like to get rid of.

RAB

Johnny Trivedi wrote:

> I have been trying to step in to some sort of  *nix environment but am
> not too sure that I want to try it on my current PC.  I do, however,
> have another PC.  It is a 486 with 25 MHz, only 4 MB of ram, 170 Mb Hard
> disk.  The only question I have is that will a FULL version of FreeBSD
> run on my PC.  I don't want to learn some version that is outdated.
> What other resources can I turn to for questions.  I have already
> checked out some reading material on amazon.com but before I purchase
> anything I want to know if the OS will work on my PC.

--------------F76E2C55AE053ACEEECABF83

begin:vcard
n:Bettle;Roy
tel;work:(949) 452-1203
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.criterion-group.com
org:Criterion Group, Inc.
version:2.1
email;internet:rbettle@criterion-group.com
title:President
note:Businesses that depend on computers, depend on us.
adr;quoted-printable:;;26895 Aliso Creek Road=0D=0ASuite B404;Aliso Viejo;CA;92656;USA
fn:Bettle, Roy
end:vcard