Date:      Mon, 06 Jan 2003 09:50:52 -0500
From:      fkittred@gwi.net
To:        Evren Yurtesen <eyurtese@turkuamk.fi>
Cc:        "Wright, Michaelx L" <michaelx.l.wright@intel.com>, fkittred@gwi.net, Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>, dmagda@ee.ryerson.ca, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, wpaul@ctr.columbia.edu
Subject:   Re: wi0 and mtu setting [bad idea]

On Fri, 3 Jan 2003 21:28:35 +0200 (WET)  Evren Yurtesen wrote:
> Isnt it also the responsibility of the person who sets the MTU that he
> should be sure everything will work right? in my access points setting MTU
> to higher than 1500 works for example. I am using linux based access
> points.

For these last 20 years or so, I have been an IP Network engineer.  I
assure you that it ends up not being the responsibility of the end
user, it is the responsibility of the network staff at the few dozen
ISPs a given connection traverses.  Bad MTUs combined with broken MTU
detection leads to mysterious failures.

The Internet has few governing laws.  It is an extraordinary example
of international cooperation on an unprecidented scale.  There is no
law stopping you from using an illegal MTU setting, just convention
and engineering good manners.

I posted the links to the wi (802.llb) standards.  In a brief scan of
the document, I did not see anything in there allowing MTUs greater
than 1500 octets.  In the networking world, it is considered very bad
to justify a configuration/feature because a given implementation
allows the configuration.  This leads to networks that don't work.

If the wi standard requires interfaces to allow MTUs greater than 1500
octets, and the FreeBSD wi driver doesn't allow them,  then wi is
broken.  If the wi standard optionally allows MTUs > 1500 octets, then
the wi driver may be uncompetitive.  If the wi standard doesn't allow
MTUs > 1500 octets, and the Linux driver does, then the Linux driver
is majorly broken.

So, I don't know the answer to whether MTUs greater than 1500 octets
are legal under the standard.  The standard is the only valid source
of information.  Supply this information and we can move forward.

regards,
fletcher