Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 2002 15:21:43 +0800
From:      "Ted Striker" <tedstriker@graffiti.net>
To:        <lists@natserv.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-database@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Raid configuration

Well with our machine we're still in the "before" stage,
so there is really no "after" to compare.

About your RAID, normally the more cards you can
use, the better. More cards will usually make I/O faster and
also more fault tolerant. Our one card is a single
point of failure, so that isn't the most optimal
situation, but the best we can do right now.

I believe a RAID10 would probably be faster for you,
since it can read and write from more disks in parallel,
versus having only one disk at a time to read or write to.

Another great thing about the RAID10 is that you can lose
a disk, and not lose any data or performance, while the
disk is offline.