Date:      Thu, 10 Sep 1998 06:40:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
To:        eischen@vigrid.com, tlambert@primenet.com
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, info@highwind.com
Subject:   Re: Thread Problems

> > I tried to repeat the reported problem, but couldn't.  I had
> > one thread listening for client connections, a worker thread
> > (printing a message once a second), and main.  The thread
> > listening for client connections would create a thread to
> > handle the connection and go back to accepting more connections.
> > I couldn't make it fail - the worker thread was always spewing
> > out messages once a second.  I even tried using fork to
> > process each client request that came in - that worked also.
>
> We really need to get more information.
>
> Effectively, we have the select coming true before the accept call,
> followed by the accept call blocking, even though the select was
> true.
>
> In theory, this can't happen, even with a blocking fd.

Actually, I think this can happen.  We were able to reproduce
this (under HP-UX, didn't try FreeBSD) but I forget the exact
circumstances.  I think it had something to do when the remote
client attempted to make a connection but closed the socket
before the connection was complete.  I'll have to see if I
can find it in my notes - it was 3 or 4 years ago...

> This has got to be a code specific problem.  Perhaps they made the
> mistake of the LDAP implementors about number of descriptors, or
> the meaning of "preemptive", and are engaged in a buzz-loop.  8-(.
>
> I just assumed that the person was running -current, and was seeing
> what he thought he was seeing; on the other hand...

I think he was running current - don't know how recent it was
though.

> It would be interesting to know what *exact* version of FreeBSD he
> was running, as well.
>
> Also, if this is a Linux program running under emulation, it should
> not be expected to work...

No, I remember it being code they were porting to FreeBSD.

Dan Eischen
eischen@vigrid.com