Date:      Wed, 19 Jan 2000 23:36:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        Jon Simola <jon@abccom.bc.ca>
Cc:        damieon <d-man@telemere.net>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Neat little DPT utils...

The old pre-CAM DPT driver provided an IOCTL interface that was
implemented in sys/dev/dpt/dpt_control.c, which is commented out in
sys/conf/files presently.

The control devices are named 'dptN' where N is the DPT controller number.

sys/conf/majors:88     dpt             DPT RAID Controller <shimon@i-connect.net>

You're going to need to work on dpt_control.c and make it not stomp on the
rest of the driver when it tries to frob the device.

Good luck.

On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, Jon Simola wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, damieon wrote:
>
> > 		I administer several machines running freebsd.  Most of
> > them are running FreeBSD-CURRENT, and all of them have DPT SmartRAID IV
> > raid controlers.
>
> I've got a backup server here with a DPT SmartRAID IV (PM3334UW) running
> 3.3-STABLE from Nov 17.  About 15 minutes of playing and I've got the programs
> compiling cleanly, however:
>
> root@tyberius:/usr/src/usr.sbin/dpt/dpt_ctlinfo$ ./dpt_ctlinfo
> ./dpt_ctlinfo ERROR:  Failed to open "(null)" - Bad address
>
> Looking at the code some more, I see:
>
>     if ( (fd = open(argv[1], O_RDWR, S_IRUSR | S_IWUSR)) == -1 ) {
>                 (void)fprintf(stderr, "%s ERROR:  Failed to open \"%s\" -
> %s\n",
>                                           argv[0], argv[1], strerror(errno));
>                 exit(1);
>     }
>
> So, I'm stuck with a compiling program and I don't know what it wants as an
> argument. Anything I try give me an:
>
> root@tyberius:/usr/src/usr.sbin/dpt/dpt_ctlinfo$ ./dpt_ctlinfo /dev/da0
> ./dpt_ctlinfo ERROR:  Failed to send IOCTL c0444403 - Inappropriate ioctl for
> device
>
> I'll be looking into this some more over the next couple days, but any hints
> or suggestions are more than welcome. If I can get it running in this
> 3.3-STABLE server, then I'll steal the controller for a weekend and bang out
> some -CURRENT code, although I think the necessary changes (STABLE -> CURRENT)
> should be fairly minor.
>
> ---
> Jon Simola <jon@abccom.bc.ca> | "In the near future - corporate networks
>     Systems Administrator     |  reach out to the stars, electrons and light
>      ABC  Communications      |  flow throughout the universe." -- GITS

| Matthew N. Dodd  | '78 Datsun 280Z | '75 Volvo 164E | FreeBSD/NetBSD  |
| winter@jurai.net |       2 x '84 Volvo 245DL        | ix86,sparc,pmax |
| http://www.jurai.net/~winter | This Space For Rent  | ISO8802.5 4ever |