Date:      Mon, 1 Oct 2001 22:58:52 -0800
From:      "james" <jfzuelow@alaska.net>
To:        "Roger Merritt" <mcrogerm@stjohn.ac.th>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Unable to delete file

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roger Merritt" <mcrogerm@stjohn.ac.th>

> So I went to the console, logged on and su'ed and tried to delete it. No
> dice. So I tried 'ls -lo', but no flags are set. Then I tried 'fstat -f
> /home/public', no files open from that directory. Tried again, 'cd
> /home/public; rm -f GradeSht.xls', and again I get "rm: GradeSht.xls:
> Permission denied". Permission denied!!! I am ROOT -- resistance is
futile!
> Except it's not. I'm stymied. Oh, yeah, thinking my securelevel might
have
> gotten changed I tried 'syscontrol kern.securelevel' and got -1, the
> default value, which it should be.
>
> What can I try next? I've tried searching the archives and haven't found
> anything yet.
> --
> Roger

Whoops!  Sorry.  Your original post got to me after the reply - I didn't
see this part.  Sorry for the lame advice to do something you've already
done.

Did you try to chflags nouchg GradeSht.xls just to see if it would work?
I don't know why it would if ls -lo doesn't show a flag set, but one thing
to try.  (or noschg)

Cheers,

James Z.