Date:      Tue, 9 Mar 1999 14:41:11 -0500
From:      "Daniel Auman" <auman@198.234.65.248>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   sendmail on 3.1-STABLE

Hi:

I don't want to bother you but, I'm just at a loss.  I'm quite new at this.
 If I can get FreeBSD to just send Internet e-mail submitted by a
SMTP client I can justify its existence in our work place and buy
work time for me to continue to learn.

I have got my connection over a T1 line correct and it would sure
appears I've got DNS Client service going: nslookup does work!

FreeBSD machine's IP address 198.234.65.226 and I would like
others on the same subnet to connect and send Internet e-mail with
addresses <italic>user</italic>@psa2.age.state.oh.us.

If I fudge a known domain name "state.oh.us" in the sender mail
address I get a "no relaying" error.  If I use "psa2.age.state.oh.us" I
get "Sender domain not found".  "psa2.age.state.oh.us" will be a DNS
entry in the state of Ohio's DNS servers and point to another machine
handling incoming mail.  In fact, the e-mail address I provided should--
when our request is handled--convert to psa2.age.state.oh.us.

I have done some research but haven't found an answer.  Your
handbook in entry 17.2.1 indicates this can be set up with
/etc/resolv.conf.  Am I on the right track?  If so it doesn't say how to
set up the file!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Dan Auman

<nofill>