Date:      Sun, 9 Aug 1998 05:26:15 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>, Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP and kernel threads (Was: Re: Pthreads woes revisited.)

On Sat, Aug 08, 1998 at 08:57:58AM +1000, John Birrell wrote:
> Jason Evans wrote:
> > 1) Which message from John Dyson are you referring to?  I don't recall a
> > technically detailed message from him on this subject for 2+ months.
>
> The message I am referring to was dated Fri, 7 Aug 1998 16:12:13 -0500 (EST)
> and sent as part of the original thread. I can forward you a copy
> if necessary.
>
> > 2) Where are John Dyson's patches currently available?
>
> Send email to John.

He'll probably refer to http://www.freebsd.org/~eivind/ where I stored a
copy of his latest distributed patches, though :-)

IIRC, the code there (sysjun-07b.diff.gz) should match what John (Dyson) is
talking about.  These are the patches John was testing just before he left.

The other patches there (vput-proc.diff) is to make vput() take a process
argument, and thus avoid some race conditions under SMP.  These need testing
with NFS; I'm waiting on somebody (you know who you are) who promised to do
this a long while ago, but have not heard back (even after repeated
nagging).  If somebody else has a suitable test environment, feel free to
yell.  The patches have been running on my machine for three months or so
with no ill effects.

Eivind.