Date:      Sat, 20 Dec 1997 11:12:02 +0100 (MET)
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question about making a new machine from an old one

Warner Losh <imp@village.org> wrote:

> Yes, but I need to have machine number 1 in this infinite series
> first.  Since I don't have a a -stable machine to clone from, I
> thought I'd do it from my -stable build tree.  I have many -current
> machines that I could clone, but I didn't think downgrading from
> -current to -stable was possible...

You can always make a release. ;-)

`make release' is very paranoid now about the various pitfalls that
could happen if the hosting and the target version of the system are
different.  Since `make release' requires you to offer a chroot
directory, you end up with a completely and cleanly bootstrapped
target tree.  There's nobody telling you the chroot target dir can't
be an entire tree of mounted filesystems.

You can abort the process by the time the chroot environment has
finished its own chroot'ed `make world', before you're starting to
roll the various distribution tarballs (which takes another good deal
of time to complete).

--
cheers, J"org