Date:      Tue, 10 Aug 1999 14:21:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kenny Drobnack <kdrobnac@mission.mvnc.edu>
To:        Johnny Trivedi <trivedi@corecomm.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Will FreeBSD run on my PC

FreeBSD 3.2 is the most recent. I think the minimum install is 60 megs.
You could do that and then add whatever you feel like.  What may be a
problem is the fact that the FreeBSD install program needs at least 5 megs
to run, not sure how much the system needs to boot up.
	I originally tried FreeBSD on a 486 66 MhZ with 16 megs of RAM.
It actually seemed to run better than a Windows box Pentium 100 with 32
megs. The exception was trying to run any memory hogging apps.  For
example, Netscape took a while to come up, and forget doing much of
anything else with Netscape was running. Also, the imlib seemed to be one
big swap file (imlib.c). I got "out of swap space" every time I tried to
compile... In other words, upgrade to 32 megs of RAM, and if possible, get
a bigger hard drive, if you want to install any extras..

> I have been trying to step in to some sort of  *nix environment but am
> not too sure that I want to try it on my current PC.  I do, however,
> have another PC.  It is a 486 with 25 MHz, only 4 MB of ram, 170 Mb Hard
> disk.  The only question I have is that will a FULL version of FreeBSD
> run on my PC.  I don't want to learn some version that is outdated.
> What other resources can I turn to for questions.  I have already
> checked out some reading material on amazon.com but before I purchase
> anything I want to know if the OS will work on my PC.

--------------------------------------*******************---------------------------------------
|											       |
|	Kenny Drobnack 									       |
|	Student at Mount Vernon Nazarene College    					       |
|	Major: Computer Science								       |
|	Minor: Math									       |
|        Working on: Computer Internship at the Public Library of Mount Vernon and Knox County |
|											       |
------------------------------------*********************---------------------------------------

		Linux Demo Day '99
	One Step Closer to World Domination
        One Day,
	One World,
	One Cool Penguin.
 						   X       X
	L      IIIIIIIIII    N       N    U     U   X     X
	L	   I	     NN      N	  U     U    X   X
	L	   I	     N N     N    U     U     X X
	L	   I	     N	N    N	  U     U      X
	L	   I	     N   N   N	  U     U     X X
	L	   I	     N	  N  N    U     U    X   X
	L	   I	     N	   N N     U   U    X     X
	LLLLL  IIIIIIIIII    N	    NN      UUU    X       X