Date:      Wed, 4 Mar 1998 19:55:08 +0100 (CET)
From:      torstenb@onizuka.tb.9715.org (Torsten Blum)
To:        nik@iii.co.uk
Cc:        jak@cetlink.net, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Donations.

nik@iii.co.uk wrote:

> <hypothetical>
>   2 projects. Both of them important to FreeBSD.
>
>   Project A is slick, sexy, and will attract lots of attention.
>
>   Project B isn't as attractive, but still needs doing.
>
>   You, the donor (who (probably) has only a small understanding of the
>   FreeBSD internals) really wants project A to happen.
[...]

That's a good example. Just take a look at "commercial" software (even
Operating Systems).
Project A = nice cool feature
Project B = change of internals that are not (direcly) visible to the user,
            but are necessary to fix "bugs" etc.

There are many people who want "project A" to happen for many reasons
(nice cool features etc), but since they don't understand the internals
they completly ignore "project B".

They all want "A" and the (commercial) software developers are forced
(by their management for example) to do Project A instead of Project B,
even if B is more important (from the technical point of view).

This happens all the time, and the result is Software with lots of new features
and only a few (if any) bugfixes.
Many people who "voted" for Project A then start complaining about buggy
software etc.

Guys, that's the reason why many of us use FreeBSD instead of other operating
systems.

Another point that has been mentioned: many of us have a good paid job and
we do this as a hobby because it's fun and because we're not forced to do
something that is (from the technical standpoint) less important...

 -tb