Date:      Sat, 06 Dec 1997 16:35:07 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, hsu@FreeBSD.ORG (Jeffrey Hsu), hackers@hub.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: shared library with static Motif?

> > That's odd; StarOffice has most of the Motif library buried inside
> > their GUI library.  I think they deconstructed the original shared
> > libraries and re-archived them along with the rest of their stuff.
>
> You don't have to do this - all you need to do is statically link in
> Motif while leaving everything else shared - that's what the -Bstatic
> and -Bdynamic flags for ld toggle on and off, and if you embed them
> strategically in your link line you can make this happen.

You make the Motif functions appear inside your shared library?  I am
fairly sure we are misunderstanding here; you seem to be describing
"how to link the Motif components statically into your application",
while the StarOffice situation is slightly different.  They have all
their GUI components in a shared library which is used by all their
applications.  In order to avoid having to distribute the Motif shared
library with their stuff, they include all the Motif functions in the
aforementioned library.

There have been reports of people making copies of the StarOffice
library, renaming it "libXm.so.*" and using it to run the shared-Motif
Netscape (and other Motif-requiring applications), hence my assumption.

> I also have a slight advantage in this debate, having talked just a
> couple of weeks ago to the Open Group managers who are in charge of
> the Motif licensing issues, [...]  but I got the feeling that
> they may be focusing strictly on the header files in any future
> "compliance enforcement" issues).

This sounds extremely positive.

mike