Date:      Sun, 07 Apr 2002 03:54:58 +0000
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@trit.org>
To:        "Earl A. Killian" <earl@killian.com>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: missing man 5 pages

[ Moved to -doc. ]

"Earl A. Killian" <earl@killian.com> wrote:
> Recently, someone fixed the missing host.conf(5) man page in
> freebsd-stable.  (Thank you!)
>
> On a whim, I decided to see what else might be missing using the
> following command:
>
> gate% strings /usr/lib/libc.so | sort -u | perl -n -e 'if (m{^/etc/(.*)$}) {
> system("man 5 $1 > /dev/null"); }'
> No entry for host.conf in section 5 of the manual

This, as you mention above, has been fixed.

> No entry for malloc.conf in section 5 of the manual

malloc.conf is described fairly well in malloc(3).  Perhaps we should
just malloc.conf(5) to the latter?  I think it's appropriate, but it
seems kind of awkward to link a section 5 page to a section 3 page.
What do others think?

> No entry for objformat in section 5 of the manual

As above for objformat(1) or getobjformat(3).

> No entry for localtime in section 5 of the manual

This should probably be a minimal page that describes that this is a
symlink to another zone file and links to tzsetup(8) or similar.

> No entry for pwd.db in section 5 of the manual
> No entry for spwd.db in section 5 of the manual

I don't think these need manual pages.