Date:      Mon, 30 Aug 1999 19:42:16 +0100
From:      Ian J Hart <ianjhart@freeloader.freeserve.co.uk>
To:        Eliezer Rodriguez Gonzalez <elie@uncle.cult.cu>
Cc:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>, "stable@freebsd.org" <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Some important environment variables.

Eliezer Rodriguez Gonzalez  wrote:

> > I guessed that 'unknown' should be i386, and *fixed* /etc/make.conf
so that
> > it worked. I would be interested to know what the correct fix is. In
any
> > case someone needs to look at this PDQ.
>
> The bug is in `make'. "unknown" should be replaced by "i386" so that
> the behaviour is the same as when MACHINE_ARCH was not defined at all.

>Pardon:
>
>Do you mind, explaining once again and more detaily, how do I fixed
>/etc/make.conf to set architecture = i386 ?
>
>Thanks in advance.

John Birrell has warned againt manualy setting MACHINE_ARCH.
THIS A HACK, NOT A FIX. Sorry if you got the wrong impression.

Add the line below to /etc/make.conf  All invocations of make will then
set the environment variable.This is effectively the same as what you
did with setenv.

MACHINE_ARCH=i386

If you can find out what is wrong with make, you should fix that
instead. John?

ian

 ianjhart@freeloader.freeserve.co.uk