Date:      Tue, 21 Oct 1997 00:51:07 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        support@mailbox.intel.com (Steve), filo@yahoo.com
Subject:   Re: BIOS Bootstrap incompatability; AL440LX at A4LL0X0.86A.0013.P03

As Mike Smith wrote:

> As this represents an official communication from Intel, rather than a
> private communication, I am copying my reply (containing the entire
> text of your response) to a number of interested parties, who may find
> your attitude enlightening.

Indeed, i found it enlightening. :-/

> > >Section D.1 of the BBS 1.01 advises that the bootstrap should consult
> > >the value in the DL register in order to determine the BIOS unit
> > >number of the boot device.

> > Further details will not be necessary as FreeBDS is not one of the
> > tested operating system and is not supported.

An interesting attitude, really.

> > It is in a similar catagory as Linix, there is a cost of media form of
> > this OS. Past experience with any of these operating systems is that
> > they do not support Plug and Play and have limited ability to support
> > all of the features of PCI cards. The user must choose OS supported
> > devices carefully, and must extend considerable effort in configuring
> > systems.
>
> I am not entirely sure what your point is here.

Well, i am rather sure what he was going to tell us: ``The user must
choose OS supported devices carefully,...''.  Together with Intel
violating the (self-produced) specs, this can only translate into
``Avoid buying Intel products.''  This statement, heard from an Intel
official, is indeed, well, interesting.

--
cheers, J"org