Date:      Fri, 16 Nov 2001 03:06:49 +0800
From:      "Shell, Hin-lik Hung" <shell@shellhung.org>
To:        Thomas Hurst <tom.hurst@clara.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Perl ports (and world) ignore $LOCALBASE

(Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 06:38:44PM +0000) Thomas Hurst :
> I have $LOCALBASE set to /usr/pkg to keep /usr/local clean for stuff I
> install manually.
>
> However:

[snip]

> Note the totally broken mixture of use of $LOCALBASE and /usr/local.
> Additionally, the build of world ignores $LOCALBASE so perl doesn't look
> in /usr/pkg anyway. pkg_add ignores it too.
> Most things work fine with ports moved, but I think things like this
> need to be looked atfor those of us that like to keep /usr/local for
> ourselves :)
I may believe that some Perl modules use another args just say
INSTALLSITELIB or INSTALLPRIVLIB to control wherever they
install to, as I believe FreeBSD only pass PREFIX and ignore
the others, this make somewhat incomplete I think.

I have submitted a patch for bsd.port.mk, but seems no one
interesting to look at it.. :-)

ps. I also believe porters always assume it will work fine, since
    they're using default /usr/local .

--
Best Regards,
  Shell Hin-Lik Hung [ ºµÅã¤O ]      | http://www.shellhung.org/