Date:      Fri, 30 May 1997 20:18:00 -0500
From:      Nathan Schuler <nschuler@sparrow.sanasys.com>
To:        Paul <psd@worldaccess.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: atapi

>>Not sure.  But as for file system performance, nothing beats the BSD UNIX's.
>And also not the FreeBSD UNIX's? :-)
>Is that based on the same?

Yes this includes FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, BSDi, and 4.4BSD

>>This list was most likely setup for corporate users.  I use BSDI 3.0 and
>>BSDI 2.1 in my office.
>
>Erhm... That's the official BSD distrib or? What are the main differences
>with FreeBSD?

Actually the "official" BSD is the 4.4BSD from UC Berkeley.  All other BSD
UNIX's are derived from it.  As for differences, they are practically
identical.  They can execute BSD binaries, although they each have their own
proprietary binaries.

FreeBSD is considered to be the fastest of the BSD's.  BSDi is known for its
robustness, although advanced features take a while to appear.  BSDi is also
the only commercial distribution of BSD.  NetBSD is known for being able to
run on just about anything, namely Mac.

Nathan Schuler <nschuler@sanasys.com>
UNIX Netwoking Solutions / Systems Administrator
Sana Systems Inc.
Clinton, IA 52732
(319) 242-5770