Date:      Sun, 11 Dec 2011 15:14:21 +0100
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVS removal from the base

Doug Barton wrote:
> On 12/02/2011 04:35, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> > I think you're missing the point a little.
> >
> > The point is, you have to keep in mind how comfortable people feel
> > about things, and progress sometimes makes people uncomfortable. I
> > think you should leave these changes bake for a while and let people
> > get comfortable with the changing status quo.
>
> The fact that we have so many people who are radically change-averse, no
> matter how rational the change; is a bug, not a feature.
>
> This particular bug is complicated dramatically by the fact that the
> majority view seems to lean heavily towards "If I use it, it must be the
> default and/or in the base" rather than seeing ports as part of the
> overall operating SYSTEM.

BSD is more conservative. More value given to stability of availability
of interfaces & tools etc, More Long term professionals.  Doug's
attempting to force working FreeBSD ports such as procmail to be
discarded is deplorable.  Doug should stop coercing FreeBSD toward
a Linux model, & move himself to Linux.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below not above, cumulative like a play script, & indent with "> ".