Date:      Fri, 28 Mar 1997 00:46:57 -0500
From:      Shawn Carey <smc@servtech.com>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        dyson@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anyone else seen this?

John Polstra wrote:

> In article <333AA089.41C67EA6@servtech.com>,
> Shawn Carey  <smc@servtech.com> wrote:
> > The problem is not GDB related, GDB just makes it clear when it
> > happens.  When GDB has stopped the program (which is every time so far),
> > I have had no breakpoints or watchpoints set.
>
> Hmm, well I've just been messing around with it, and to me it does seem
> related to GDB.  At least, I can make it happen reliably with GDB,
> but not without GDB.  Mind you, I don't think it's a GDB bug.  It's
> just that GDB writes into the text segments of the executables.

Any chance we have two unrelated but similar problems?  When I run my
executable (linked against shared libs) directly from the shell (GDB not
involved), the timestamp on the file changes every time, though it
appears to run normally.

If I run the same executable under GDB, it runs for 10 seconds at the
most and then GDB kills it before reporting "Process terminated due to
text file modification".  No breakpoints, no nuthin.  Not even a
.gdbinit.

Now, if I link with -static, the exectuable retains its timestamp, even
whe run under GDB, and GDB lets it run peacefully.  I too have seen gdb
touch the files it runs - what I'm talking about here looks to me like
something else.

-Shawn