Date:      Mon, 2 Jul 2001 22:25:45 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        R <tlhingan@optonline.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 57% packet loss

On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 09:28:33PM -0400, R wrote:
> hello all
>
> ok, first things first: I'm new, but not dumb :) Now that thats out of the
> way...
>
> I'm running 3.2-STABLE.  I'm trying to configure my box to get on the net.
> I have a cable modem - not from "@home" - and a nic (xl0) which conects to
> it.
>
> I've been trying to do a few things at the same time, which has gotten me
> quite mixed up, since im learning from scratch each of the things im trying
> :)
>
> So, I'm gonna break my questions into the mailing list into VERY small
> pieces - the first of which is:
>
> What sort of things should i look for when trying to determine why I'm
> getting a 57% packet loss pinging hub.freebsd.org?

1) Is this a local or remote problem. ping(1) your default router. Any
problems?

   No? Probably nothing wrong with your setup and nothing you can do
   to improve performance short of calling up your ISP and whining or
   complaining about the backbone on Usenet or IRC.

   Yes? Good chance it's you. Check if you are trying to jam
   full-duplex traffic down a half-duplex (hate that term) wire.
   If that's not it... could be a lot of things.