Date:      Mon, 11 Mar 2002 15:24:53 -0800
From:      Benjamin Krueger <benjamin@macguire.net>
To:        ScaryG <freymann@scaryg.shacknet.nu>
Cc:        Andre Elferink <andrebsd@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Remote Desktop

* ScaryG (freymann@scaryg.shacknet.nu) [020311 14:52]:
> On Mon, 11 Mar 2002 14:44:25 -0800 (PST)
> Andre Elferink <andrebsd@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I am wondering if or rather how would I go about
> > connecting to my home system (FreeBSD 4.5) from a Mac
> > or PC (probibly running windows) over the internet...
> > so basicly that i can bring up my home systems desktop
> > like im sitting infront of it from a remote mac or
> > pc.. or in simplest terms just do what "go2mypc" does.
>
>  I would also suggest VNC...
>
>  It's in the ports so you can easily compile it there.
>
>  The VNC site also has downloads for Windoze.
>
>  This address from Defcon1 should have everything you need to get going:
>
> http://www.defcon1.org/About_Us/News/Upcoming_Articles/CVS-Server/VNC-Server/vnc-server.html
>
>  Be careful of the word wrapping..
>
>  You could always just go to www.defcon1.org and then just click the link
> for VNC at the bottom right.
>
>  Enjoy!
>
> -Gerry
> Web Hosting // Primary & Secondary DNS Services
> at http://www.interpool.ca

Another tool you might consider is rdesktop, which is a remote desktop
protocol client for accessing Windows NT Terminal servers. With this, you can
access an NT4 or Win2k terminal server from an X desktop. Its incredibly
useful and can be forwarded over an ssh tunnel. I use it at work constantly.

http://www.rdesktop.org/

--
Benjamin Krueger

"From the moment I picked up your book until I laid it down, I
was convulsed with laughter. Some day I intend reading it."
- Groucho Marx