Date:      Thu, 27 Feb 1997 10:05:03 -0800
From:      Jason Wells <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        rdarden@phoenix.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installation difficulty

Ronald Darden wrote:

> I very much appreciate your philosophy, HOWEVER, ....
>
> Installation of FreeBSD is next to impossible unless one is already in
> a Unix environment with ALREADY configured ftp, or one BUYS the CD.

Wrong! I installed it from W95. All that you need to do is get the
install disk image and have an isp. The install disk outs you in the
UNIX environment.

> It would be nice if there were easy to use instructions how to install
> from a DOS partition, especially the packages.

There are.

> Maybe sample configuration files for ftp in FreeBSD, or just WHERE to
> put packages in DOS so that the installation will actually find them.

You don't need any config files for FTP. The config is on the install
disk. You need to know your IP, your gateway, adn your domain.

> How do you expect any sane (oxymoron) Windows-user to WANT to migrate
> to Unix under these circumstances?

I wanted to for the simple fact that I wanted to. <-- recursive
defintion :)

> Rather than learning anything, I feel that I'm working in the dark,
> even reading the handbook.

You have read the wrong part. Read "Getting freeBSD"

> WHY ISN'T A SIMPLE HTML BROWSER INCLUDED SO THAT ONE CAN READ THE
> DOCUMENTATION?

It is. It is called lynx.

> Lynx can't be obtained except one ftp in the FreeBSD environment, but
> that's not possible unless one can configure the dialer.

See above.

> Installing from DOS can't find the packages index.
>
> In other words, YOU CAN'T GET THERE FROM HERE.
>
> How does one even know how to acces the floppies?
>
> It took me several installations just to get XFree to recognize my
> mouse, and even now I can"t get the #$%^@& thing to start up except in
> some strange video resolution.
>
> In short, your installation s$%^s!
>
> Ronald Darden
> rdarden@phoenix.net

You lack patience young skywalker.

It took me (first time unix user) less time to install FreeBSD than it
took me to install W95 from cdrom. FreeBSD took about 100 more megabytes
than W95 did. Strange but true. I have made some errors on the way. I
made errors in windows too. No big deal.

This reminds me of a story of one persons experience with the
"intuitive" win 3.11 interface. She held the mouse in the air and waved
it back and forth. She could not figure out how to get the pointer to
move. Was that the OS's fault ?
--
 __   __
/ 0\ / 0\         Thank you * Highperformance.net