Date:      Wed, 17 Feb 1999 13:46:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      jim_early@FreeBSD.ORG
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   docs/10135: Change to Documention Regarding Upgrades

>Number:         10135
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       Change to Documention Regarding Upgrades
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
The handbook incorrectly states that a 'make world' should be done
after a cvsup to perform an upgrade. The corect command is 'make upgrade'.
The page in question is:

http://freebsd.advansys.net/handbook/handbook269.html#589

See my correspondence with Bill Fenner below:

To:
        Jim Early <jim_early@yahoo.com>
     cc:
        freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org
        Re: To Bill Fenner - Re: Re: i386/10075
   Date:
        Wed, 17 Feb 1999 11:27:57 PST
  From:
        Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>Add to Address Book

Jim,

  I'm sorry about Xerox's extreme anti-spam measures.  In
the future
you could send messages directly to fenner@parc.xerox.com .

In message
<19990217131317.25604.rocketmail@send101.yahoomail.com> you
write:
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:

>Release-Note:
>Audit-Trail:
>Unformatted:
 >> I used cvsup to sync the tree as outlined in step 2, and
 then
 >> attempted a "make world" as directed in step 4. You will
 notice that
 >> "make upgrade" is not mentioned at all on this page. In
 fact, the
 >> handbook states, "You should at least run a ` make
 world' the first
 >> time through as part of the upgrading process." Perhaps
 the upgrade
 >> instructions need to be made more clear.

 Indeed.  Why don't you file a PR, in the category "doc", so
 that this
 doesn't get lost?

   Bill