Date:      Sat, 11 Oct 1997 17:01:47 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@consys.com>
Cc:        gjohnson@nola.srrc.usda.gov, tlambert@primenet.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Floating point exceptions

> |> FreeBSD (so I can replace Linux). My understanding is that FreeBSD traps
> |> FPE's. Is there a way for me to change the FreeBSD source code to mask FPE's
> |> rather than trap them? Better yet, can I do that for a specific application at
> |> compile time? Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
> |
> |Fix:		Correct the code to not generate exceptions
>
> Hmm, I don't think so.  There are a variety of reasons that NA people
> want to use those carefully thought out exceptions.  Find
> 'em yerself.

In the original case the NA people weren't using the exceptions; they
were ignoring them.

IMHO FreeBSD does the correct thing; it notifies you of the exception.
It is your responsibility to decide what to do about it.

I have spent not a little time carefully explaining to various
scientific programmers about arithmetic exceptions and why they should
care about them, and so far have had a 100% conversion rate.  If you
look a physicist in the eye and say "unquantifiable error", they will
usually listen.

mike