Date:      Sat, 1 Jul 2000 19:47:15 +1200
From:      "Mark Ibell" <marki@paradise.net.nz>
To:        <chad@DCFinc.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: telnet/tcp problems in 4.0-RELEASE]

I understand what you were saying in your recent post (~23rd) but don't
think that it completely explains my difficulties.

The problem appears to be related to the absence of a domain extension.
For example, on the machine in question (mars.econz.co.nz):

# ftp localhost
[pauses for 75 seconds]

# ftp localhost.econz.co.nz
[connects straight away]

# ftp mars
[pauses for 75 seconds]

# ftp mars.econz.co.nz
[connects straight away]

# ftp shiva
[pauses for 75 seconds]

# ftp shiva.econz.co.nz
[connects straight away]

I think the reason incoming telnet fails is because of the fact that a
'login -h shiva -p' is spawned on localhost, where 'shiva' is of course
without a domain extension.

Here's my /etc/host.conf:
# cat host.conf hosts resolv.conf
# $FreeBSD: src/etc/host.conf,v 1.6 1999/08/27 23:23:41 peter Exp $
# First try the /etc/hosts file
hosts
# Now try the nameserver next.
bind
# If you have YP/NIS configured, uncomment the next line
# nis

Here's my /etc/hosts:
127.0.0.1       localhost
172.16.1.73     mars.econz.co.nz mars

Here's my /etc/resolv.conf:
domain econz.co.nz
nameserver 172.16.0.1

Nothing flash here at all which is why I am now puzzled again. I mean, it
used to work I swear!