Date:      Tue, 14 Jan 2003 13:04:17 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Steve Warwick <ukla@attbi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mail: operation timed out... Why?

Steve Warwick wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have mail stacking up in the outbound mail queue all with the same error:
>
> "Deferred: Operation timed out with <isp name here>"
>
> I have gone through my configs and everything looks correct. Could some one
> tell me what could cause this error as I have checked everything I can think
> of.

May not be your fault.  Is it only one server that's timing out, or is no
mail getting through?  If it's only one ISP, then perhaps that ISP is having
a problem.  How long has this been going on?  Has mail ever sent successfully?
Someone else suggested using telnet to test the connection, that's a good
place to start diagnosing.  Read the RFC on SMTP, as you can use telnet to
actually send email, and sometimes you'll get more useful error messages back
from the receiving server that way.

> The only thing left that might be incorrect is my ISP has a reverse DNS
> entry for my server as xxx.com not servername.xxx.com... Could that be it?

If the remote server is conigured to be very strict in its DNS checks, yes.
If xxx.com doesn't forward resolve (for example) the FreeBSD mail servers will
reject your mail.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies